Along with today’s release of iOS 6.1, Apple also included an update for the Apple TV. The new 5.2 software update adds a number of features including Bluetooth keyboard support, AirPlay sending, Up Next support, iCloud for iTunes music and more.
- iTunes in the Cloud: Browse and play your purchased iTunes music directly from iCloud.
- Up Next: See upcoming songs when playing music, and easily choose what plays next.
- Bluetooth keyboard: Use your Apple Wireless Keyboard to control your Apple TV. See this article for more information.
- AirPlay audio for videos: Send stereo audio from movies, TV shows, and other videos on Apple TV to AirPlay-enabled speakers and devices (including AirPort Express and other Apple TVs).
- Stability and performance: Includes performance and stability improvements with the iTunes Store, AirPlay, Netflix, iTunes Match, and wired Ethernet connections.
The new Bluetooth keyboard support enables users to pair a wireless keyboard with the Apple TV, which simplifies the process of entering text. The keyboard can also be used to fully control your Apple TV by using the Arrow, Return, and Escape keys to navigate the onscreen menu.
Apple TV has long been able to receive AirPlay audio and video, but now it gains the ability to send AirPlay audio as well. You can now send audio from movies, TV shows, music, etc. to AirPlay-enabled speakers and devices including the AirPort Express and other Apple TVs.
The new iTunes in the Cloud support lets users browse and stream music purchased in iTunes directly from iCloud. This means your Apple TV does not need to connect to a computer on your network to stream the music. The feature even works for customers without iTunes Match.
To update your Apple TV to the latest software go to Settings-> General-> Update Software on your Apple TV.